Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Last Dance

I’ll never forget

my young prince:

cologne and herringbone, rough on the cheek

of a princess afloat on strong arms,

drowning in eyes of aquamarine.

Pressed by the dancers,

proctored by Brother Timothy,

holy watchman gliding, weaving,

robe swaying, arms crossed,

hands tucked in his sleeves,

ready to pry a safe space

between the royal couples

at a rise in the heat of their touch.

I still hear the song,

always the last dance-

then and now-

at the end of every day,

for the past forty-six years:

“Goodnight My Love”

Happy Anniversary


Listen to
Goodnight My Love



Posted for
at

9 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, how sweet and how well presented. Excellent job. Your voice is always so honest. I believe everything you write. And thanks for visiting me and my upside down poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that a dance worth dancing!*smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! this turned out amazing! how beautiful, romantic...do you really dance every night? that is awesome, no wonder you have the longevity in your relationship...congrats and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, sorry Brian, wouldn't that be a feat! I took just a bit of literary license, referring to the song title at the close of every day. I almost didn't finish it; decided at 10:15 that I didn't want to miss One Shot Wednesday so I got to work and thought it ironic that I'd probably be the last one to post --- not quite as it turned out. Thanks for reading. Hope your anniversary was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mention of herringbone makes me swoon. I adore the word and all it conjures up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sean Vessey said: Beautiful Poem. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the attention to detail and teh nouns in particular in this passage, you bring intrigue and it compels -

    cologne and herringbone, rough on the cheek

    of a princess afloat on strong arms,

    drowning in eyes of aquamarine.

    Pressed by the dancers,

    proctored by Brother Timothy,


    not sure if the space between every line formatting is working for me completely but great piece.

    Luke @ WordSalad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, such a sweet and detailed tribute! Romantic and quite sweetly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete