Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Shell Game


"The Conjurer", by Hieronymus Bosch

Eight a.m.
Sipping my coffee
Listening to the news
I’m so tired of it
I hear, I think, I write:

I’m a grain of sand
Drowning in currency!

The radio is playing –
Talking
Jabbering
Faster and faster
Give us your money
Give us your children
Give us your blood
I’m letting it go on
Blend word into word
Until it is only one

Noise

I know the message –
A deficit
A plan
A compromise
Cuts
Resolve the question
Don’t lie
Balance
I believe
Cut to the bone
Don’t cut
Gas and energy
Conserve
(maybe concern,words are scribbled)
Clean energy
Solution more expensive
No silver bullet
Necessity
Stuck with old beaters
Frustration
No easy single solution
Up and up and up
Stop!

What’s he going to do
Medicare, Medicaid
Offshore drilling
Something that is not beneficial
Or the other side of that decision

FINALLY
somebody
trips over the truth
in the radio arcade,
falling face first
into the underside of 
THE SHELL GAME.

6 comments:

  1. This is why I stopped listening years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very much enjoyed this..shell game, indeed! thanks for popping over to my site, it is always lovely to find a new poet to visit, cheers ~ angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but isn't most all of it a shell game these days. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very lovely art/poetry,



    Invite you to join poets rally week 42, awards are given to first time participants.

    Submit your entry at http://thursdaypoetsrallypoetry.blogspot.com/

    You will love the encouragements you get once you are in and make commitment.

    Love your blog and writing style.

    You Rock!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete