Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Absence

Freely blessed,
we live daily amid riches
invisible to us until their silent statement
of absence demands our attention.
My faucets were dry today
while the well tank was repaired.
I thought of the millions of people
in our world for whom pure running water
would be a miracle of wealth.
I give thanks as I suffer pangs
of guilt for a blessing
unacknowledged.

As I looked back at yesterday’s “stepping stone”, I intended to choose one or two words to tie a thread to today’s meditation. There are several choices but I settled on water. Although the word is not specifically stated it is the overarching element, as it has been in the past three meditations (albeit frozen in snow or as ocean in Maine). Today we had a new well tank installed in our basement, so water moved to center stage as a result of its absence in my household.

No comments:

Post a Comment